Executive Director - Sunshine Coast Tourism
Sunshine Coast Tourism is looking for a dynamic, innovative and passionate Executive Director with excellent communication, marketing and leadership skills to lead our talented team and continue to engage and grow our vibrant tourism and hospitality communities on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia. The Executive Director is also responsible for establishing and maintaining partnerships, alliances and on-going relationships with community, industry and government partners.
The successful candidate will combine their creativity and proven leadership skills to drive the strategic direction of Sunshine Coast Tourism and effectively position it as a leader in the destination marketing industry.
Sunshine Coast Tourism is a non-profit society established in 2007 with a mandate as a DMO (Destination Marketing Organization) to attract increased visitor spending on the North and South Sunshine Coast resulting in a stronger tourism economy for the region. We create bold, inspiring, and engaging experiences and champion the Sunshine Coast’s vibrant lifestyle by cultivating, collaborating and celebrating with stakeholders, and engaging residents and visitors to explore more here on the Coast.
Working in collaboration with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is the organization’s leader, developing and executing the creative, strategic and operational initiatives of Sunshine Coast Tourism. The ED ensures the continued growth of revenues while maximizing operational efficiencies, all while contributing to exceptional staff and stakeholder satisfaction.
Leadership & Management
• Provide business leadership and direction for all activities of the organization
• Provide operational leadership and development through staffing, planning and budget initiatives
• Develop and enhance stakeholder relationships within the community, tourism industry, and various levels of government to capitalize on new opportunities
• Build on existing initiatives while also leading new program development
• Ensure organization is responsive to changing industry dynamics and trends
• Lead effective communication efforts for the organization
• Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing operations and ongoing program expansion.
• Strengthen and support all aspects of communications, marketing and brand reputation
• Coordination of, and attendance at, Board and committee meetings
• Act as the primary spokesperson for Sunshine Coast Tourism, as a shared responsibility with the Chair of the Board and staff as delegated
• Recruit, train and mentor all support staff and establish personal development plans
Planning & New Business
• In collaboration with the Board, create a strategic plan that will continue to support and grow tourism on the Sunshine Coast and drive the overall vision of Sunshine Coast Tourism
• Build local community and government relationships, and regional partnerships that promote the mandate of Sunshine Coast Tourism.
• Enhance existing marketing initiatives and support the creation of new campaigns with the goal of promoting tourism opportunities to a broader audience
Desired Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have a passion for people and will possess a bold, creative, and collaborative leadership style. This person will demonstrate the ability to build strong, positive relationships and either be, or become, an integral member of the Sunshine Coast community.
• Post-secondary degree in marketing, communications, hospitality, or tourism management. Equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered.
• 5+ years’ experience in a leadership role (preferably marketing related)
• Demonstrated Stakeholder Relationships including industry, community, government, and media
• Experience working with, and reporting to, a Board of Directors
• Previous experience in the tourism industry
Knowledge and Skills:
• General understanding and appreciation of all Sunshine Coast tourist attractions
• Highly effective team building skills
• Proven track record in a senior management role
• Strong leadership attributes
• Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and deliver on key initiatives
• Experience working within a multiple stakeholder environment
• Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively with various levels of government
• Demonstrated ability to take responsibility for both financial management and results
• Effective public relations and media relations experience
• Understanding of not-for-profit organizations, board structure and governance
• Understanding and implementation of best sustainable practices, for internal operations and for promotion to tourism partners
Personal Attributes and Characteristics
• Ability to work well with a small team and be goal oriented
• Ability to work independently, show initiative and meet deadlines
• Ability to travel and work flexible hours as required
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to work under pressure as demanded
• Present a professional yet relaxed demeanour
Terms, Remuneration and Working Environment
• A valid passport, driver’s license, and ability to travel internationally is essential
• The functions of the Executive Director and team will be carried out in an office to be located on the Sunshine Coast. The appointed ED will be expected to reside on the Sunshine Coast within 90 days of the commencement of appointment.
• Remuneration for the position will be by agreement between the Board of Directors and the Executive Director based on experience
• Relocation expenses to the Sunshine Coast will be negotiated
Learn more about Sunshine Coast Tourism:
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest and will be in contact only with those candidates we would like to interview for the position.
For other careers in British Columbia’s tourism and hospitality industry, please visit go2 — The resource for people in Tourism at www.go2hr.ca/